As the years draw on, medical research continues to develop new life-saving technologies. Everything from nanobots in the bloodstream to cell stem therapy reminds us that medical science is developing quicker than we could have ever anticipated.
So, then, it might be surprising to discover that ancient, holistic health practices are becoming increasingly popular. One of the reasons for this is the fact that medical research is now able to verify these older healing practices.
One such healing practice involves the use of a tongue scraper or tongue brush. An important facet of any Ayurveda Lifestyle, using a tongue cleaner can help improve your overall health and well-being.
Why Would I Use a Tongue Scraper?
While the Western world might be young to the idea of tongue scraping, it’s a practice that has been adopted by many cultures for thousands of years. More and more dentists are starting to recognize the importance of tongue scraping.
There are a number of reasons that you might want to use a tongue scraper.
- Tongue scraping helps to improve bad breath
- Tongue scraping gets rid of bacteria in the mouth
- Tongue scraping can improve your overall health
Tongue scraping is known to eliminate the toxic ama buildup on the tongue. If you have a coating on your tongue then this is a sign that you have excess ama that should be scrapped off. This can be made worse by lifestyle choices like smoking, drugs (prescription or otherwise), dry mouth or bad oral hygiene.
What’s the Best Type of Tongue Cleaner?
Choosing the best type of tongue scraper is important if you want to make the most of this important self-care ritual. If you’re choosing a tongue scraper or tongue brush, Made By Yoke offers some of the best in the industry.
Copper Tongue Scraper
A copper tongue scraper will most likely be recommended to you by legitimate Ayurvedic practitioners. There are a couple of benefits to using a copper tongue scraper over a stainless steel one.
- Copper tongue scrapers have a great shelf life and can last you many years if you care for them properly. Check out our blog on how to care for your wellness tools here.
- Copper is known to help fight bacteria. Ayurvedic practitioners have known this for millennia and modern science has recently confirmed this fact.
Stainless Steel Tongue Scraper
There are many more options if you’re going to look for a stainless steel tongue scraper. However, despite being made from surgical grade stainless steel, these units aren’t made with a metal that’s inherently antibacterial.
That said, stainless steel tongue scrapers are often more affordable than copper ones. They will also last you a great number of years if you care for them properly
How to Clean Your Tongue Properly
Anyone following an Ayurveda Lifestyle should know how to properly clean their tongue. Here’s a simple set of directions to get you going.
- Stick your tongue out just like you would at the dentist. (The “ahhh” noise is optional!)
- Apply the scraper as far back on your tongue as you can without triggering your gag reflex
- Pushing down just enough for the scraper to apply light pressure, draw it forwards towards the tip of your tongue.
- Flick off or let drip the residue that has gathered in your tongue and the scraper.
- Repeat several times until your tongue has been fully scraped.
- Wash the tongue scraper and let it dry.
If you’re going to use a tongue cleaner it’s important to get a high-quality piece. A copper tongue cleaner tends to provide more bacterial resistance, but a stainless steel tongue cleaner will probably be more affordable.
In either case, don’t hesitate to check out an Ayurveda Lifestyle shop like Made By Yoke to order a tongue cleaner and start realizing the benefits of using a tongue cleaner today.
WRITTEN BY NIGEL